i hadn't really brought appropriately sized transparencies, or enough meaningful images, so i focused on the house structure itself.
i wanted the walls to be a bit more sturdy, so for the next house i used book cloth hinges. i only had boring brown bookcloth, but i was able to see if i liked the idea or not. and i did. i also wanted the roof to rest a bit differently on the peak of the house. i added a little copper mesh shelf to each peak. and i felt like i needed a hinged door in the front. then i set about trying to add a book to the structure in some way. the roof looked like a book laying open, face down, so i borrowed some lightweight waxed paper and created a pamphlet book. someone suggested there needed to be a handle to pull the roof/book off, so i created a little weather vane handle. i even bent the wire to read "N/S/E/W" i was quite pleased with that :) susie lent me a little bird to hang out on the weather vane.
i didn't really finish this house before getting excited about the next one. so i just left it undone. ideas were floating around my brain like hoards of jellyfish.
i wanted the house to open up so that there could be books inside as well. and i had a little wooden fence that i wanted to use. i spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to figure out how to attach the fence, but have the attachment look nice from the inside. i finally sewed in on, backing the mica with fabric, and backing the stitches with little copper beads. i also drilled a bead to use as part of a closure. waxed linen completes the closure for now, but i will come up with something more elegant. i didn't get to the roof on this one, but what was important to me was exploring the structural possibilities.
here's the group together:
and the group with a cautious amount of fire (i couldn't find the christmas lights):
they really look a lot nicer with the christmas lights.
now i have all sorts of ideas for books with mica, houses with mica.........mica and polymer.....yikes! i'm excited about the possibilities!