my friend carrie and i have been getting together once a week for a while. often i knit and she spins, but this month we've been trying something new. we've been journaling a lot ("journal mania!") and one week we decided to make felt.
we started with wool. i don't remember what wool in this form is called, but it's prior to roving.
i pulled out all the blue and chartreuse bits. the first layer went pretty well, but was thin. i had been intending to use it as a book cover. i added some roving to the back, but had trouble making it stick. we were still learning. neither of us had done this before.
we did have a lot of fun putting the felt together. our hands were pruny and soaked in soap. that apparently was one of our problems. too much soap! but i managed to put together a sheet and set it out to dry on the rack.
here's a closer shot.
as you can see, after it dried and i got it home, that roving never did really turn to felt. also none of the wool shrunk as it should.
but i love the front. i love the raw edges and the colors. carrie has been reading up on felting and we have some new things to try for the next time.