i recently got a request for a client for the tree of life. she wanted to be able to write a journal entry for every day of her pregnancy. isn't that cool? her only issue was that the book came with 176 pages, and she needed more.
i was a little concerned that 300 pages would look out of proportion to the covers of the book. then i realized that the book used cardstock pages for mixed media, but really she only needed to be able to write on them. i made a mock up of the text block using 304 text pages, with some covers that i hadn't already bound. the proportions looked good, so we decided to proceed.
i purchased some wausau royal linen for the text block.
the next step was to cut the paper to size. but what this all over my kutrimmer? polymer clay stuff.
after cleaning up a little i was able to begin cutting the pages. i just love my kutrimmer. i should really keep it free from debris.
here are the pages all cut to size. i cut four at once, because that is how many pages i use in a signature. i kept them separate to make the next step easier.
next was heading over to my bookbinding desk. even worse than my kutrimmer! i plan a studio clean up, but wanted to make this book first. i think the clean up will take a while.
reasonably clean, and dusted.
the next step was to fold all the pages. i used my teflon rib. sometimes i use a teflon bone folder. i think it just depends on my mood.
all folded and stacked together, it was time to put the pages into the press overnight. i placed them between two clean boards to protect the pages and allow for even pressure.
after the pages come out of the press, i'll begin punching holes and binding.