this is the last part in my series of customizing a book. i unbound tree of life; created new, thinner signatures; and added more signatures for a total of 320 pages.
i took the signatures out of the press and set them within the book covers to check on the location of the holes. at this point i was ready to bind. i used the celtic weave for two pairs of stations, and the coptic stitch for the remaining pair of stations.
this is the beginning of the binding. Ten needles were used for this book.
with so many needles and waxed linen threads, there is often a big tangly mess. i haven't found a way to eliminate that.
and the finished, rebound book.
and off in the mail to the client. i'm actually more pleased with the binding this time than the original.
the next step was to take apart the previously bound book. owie!
once the signatures and binding were removed, i lined up the new text block with the covers. as you can see, my kutrimmer is a little off in its measurements. the new signatures aren't exactly the same size.
i took the signatures back to the kutrimmer and trimmed them all so they would be even. much better.
the next step was to mark the binding holes on the text block. i carefully lined up the triangle with the binding holes in the cover, and marked with a sharp pencil.
once the text block was marked, i could begin piercing the holes with an awl. i turned my piercing cradle upside down since i marked the text block on the outside. i think most people mark their blocks on the inside and use the cradle as intended. but marking from the outside gives a nicer wound to the paper.
after opening up the signatures for piercing, they look as if they've never been in the press.
i finished piercing the holes and put the whole text block back in the press overnight.
i recently got a request for a client for the tree of life. she wanted to be able to write a journal entry for every day of her pregnancy. isn't that cool? her only issue was that the book came with 176 pages, and she needed more.
i was a little concerned that 300 pages would look out of proportion to the covers of the book. then i realized that the book used cardstock pages for mixed media, but really she only needed to be able to write on them. i made a mock up of the text block using 304 text pages, with some covers that i hadn't already bound. the proportions looked good, so we decided to proceed.
i purchased some wausau royal linen for the text block.
the next step was to cut the paper to size. but what this all over my kutrimmer? polymer clay stuff.
after cleaning up a little i was able to begin cutting the pages. i just love my kutrimmer. i should really keep it free from debris.
here are the pages all cut to size. i cut four at once, because that is how many pages i use in a signature. i kept them separate to make the next step easier.
next was heading over to my bookbinding desk. even worse than my kutrimmer! i plan a studio clean up, but wanted to make this book first. i think the clean up will take a while.
reasonably clean, and dusted.
the next step was to fold all the pages. i used my teflon rib. sometimes i use a teflon bone folder. i think it just depends on my mood.
all folded and stacked together, it was time to put the pages into the press overnight. i placed them between two clean boards to protect the pages and allow for even pressure.
after the pages come out of the press, i'll begin punching holes and binding.
"I made no
resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of
criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily
event for me." -Anais Nin
i have decided to start the new year today. yesterday wasn't so hot. if i had made resolutions, i would have broken them all! today's a new day.
i don't really make resolutions, but i do like this idea: pick a word for the year. christine kane started this concept in 2006. you pick one word.
Then, hold that word in your mind throughout the year, and let your word guide you to take action.
last year my word was balance. i think i achieved a good level of balance overall. balancing my work, my play, my family time. of course there were times when i was out of balance, but it was a good word to keep in my mind. 2009 wasn't too bad for me. sure, my husband got laid off, and that sucked, but overall it was ok. it was the year i pulled out of my bipolar funk and began creating a bit again. very rewarding. and quite a relief to be out of my non-creative spell.
this year i'm choosing health. i think that's a good focus for me. it's important that i continue to maintain my mental health, maybe improving some. it encompasses sleep, diet, exercise and even balance. all areas that i can work on. it includes creativity because i'm healthiest when creating, but not rushing to reach impractical deadlines.
i won't have a hard time remembering the word, remembering my focus. i have it tattooed on my arm.
this is actually "to heal" in a dialect of hindi. sorry for the disembodied image. it's a little hard to take a picture of your own arm!
whether you choose a word, or choose resolutions, or eschew the whole process, i wish you a healthy, happy, prosperous new year (starting today for some of us!)