i'm in the process of rebinding a book for a client who wanted more pages in tree of life.
the next step was to take apart the previously bound book. owie!
once the signatures and binding were removed, i lined up the new text block with the covers. as you can see, my kutrimmer is a little off in its measurements. the new signatures aren't exactly the same size.
i took the signatures back to the kutrimmer and trimmed them all so they would be even. much better.
the next step was to mark the binding holes on the text block. i carefully lined up the triangle with the binding holes in the cover, and marked with a sharp pencil.
once the text block was marked, i could begin piercing the holes with an awl. i turned my piercing cradle upside down since i marked the text block on the outside. i think most people mark their blocks on the inside and use the cradle as intended. but marking from the outside gives a nicer wound to the paper.
after opening up the signatures for piercing, they look as if they've never been in the press.
i finished piercing the holes and put the whole text block back in the press overnight.
next up is the new binding.